D.J. Young has extensive litigation experience, having spent in excess of one-thousand hours in the courtroom representing private clients and the United States of America as a federal prosecutor with the U.S. Department of Justice. He has prosecuted drug smuggling cases and alien smuggling cases. He has litigated cases involving construction disputes, frauds, zoning and land-use disputes, breaches of contract, discrimination, and personal injuries. He particularly enjoys the more intellectual aspects of litigation, including Constitutional issues, complex questions of evidence and the nature and extent of legal duties.
D.J. Young is atypical of most other attorneys in that he has experience operating forklifts, agricultural tractors, and commercial tractor-trailers. He holds an Ohio Class-A Commercial Driver’s License and his license endorsements allow him to operate commercial vehicles with manual transmissions and air brakes, including doubles and triples, tanker trailers, and hazardous materials vehicles. His experience and training gives him a unique understanding of the complexities of operating commercial motor vehicles safely and a view that most other attorneys do not have about all of the different things that a truck driver or trucking company can do wrong.
While D. J. Young spends most of his time on truck crash cases, he also is a partner in the Delaware County, Ohio law firm of Firestone, Brehm, Wolf, Whitney & Young LLP, where he provides legal services to real estate investors and entrepreneurs.
D. J. Young enjoys BBQ cooking, playing cards, home-improvement projects, and small-scale organic farming. He lives on a farm in Delaware County with his wife, Melissa, and their three children, Andrew, Rebecca, and Julia.
- Virginia, 1998
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Tax Court
University of Notre Dame Law School
J.D. magna cum laude – 1998
Law Review: Notre Dame Law Review, Articles Editor
Ohio Wesleyan University
B.A. summa cum laude – 1995
Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Delaware County Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Ohio Association for Justice, Member
- Delaware County Agricultural Society, Former Board Member
- Habitat for Humanity of Delaware County, Ohio, Previous Board Member
- BRIDGE Ministries of Laredo, Inc., Previous Board Member
- Delaware Grace Church, Regular Attendee
- Rotary, Past Member
- Sunbury/Big Walnut Area Chamber of Commerce, Past Board Member
- Stratford Ecological Center, Delaware, Ohio, Past Board Member
- Perkins Local School District, Past Board Member
- Ohio Association for Justice, Presenter on Issue Spotting in Direct Negligence Trucking Cases, 2019